Our 1st Annual Conference on April 1, 2011 was "sold out with nearly 350 registrants!"
- Click here for pictures of this outstanding event.
- Click here for conference pictures provided by keynote speaker, Susan Gregg-Schroeder.
- Click here for "Four Churches Tell Their Stories."
Professional Continuing Education Credits were offered by AHEC!!
Area faith communities and other organizations united with Faith Connections on Mental Illness to co-sponsor a day-long conference, "Mental Illness as a Spiritual Journey: Creating Caring Communities," on Friday, April 1st, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at St. Thomas More Church, 940 Carmichael St., Chapel Hill.
Rev. Susan Gregg-Schroeder, noted author and founder of California's Mental Health Ministries, keynoted the event. Other speakers included Dr. Gary Duncan and Rev. John Durbin. Breakout sessions provided participants with insight on how to be a responsive, compassionate member of the faith community to others struggling with mental illness.
Conference participants were able to:
- Gain a greater understanding of mental illness, its impact on consumers and their family members;
- Learn how to develop the spiritual resources within their own faith community;
- Learn how to effectively and compassionately engage people living with mental illness; and
- Learn how to become a network of hope to families coping with a mentally ill member.
Burlington District - NC Conference of the United Methodist Church
Committee on Disability Concerns - NC Conference of the United Methodist Church
NAMI North Carolina
Shared Visions Foundation
Mental Health America of the Triangle
Josh's Hope Foundation, Inc.
Sponsoring Faith Communities
Amity United Methodist Church
Asbury United Methodist Church
Olin T. Binkley Baptist Church
Catholic Community of St. Thomas More
Chapel Hill Friends
Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church
Christ United Methodist Church
Church of the Reconciliation PC USA
Community Church UU
Durham Mennonite Church
Evergreen United Methodist Church
First Presbyterian Church
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
Orange United Methodist Church
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
St. Philip’s Episcopal Church
Union Baptist Church
United Church of Chapel Hill
University Presbyterian Church
University United Methodist Church
Watts Street Baptist Church
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Website created by Kim Batson of WebtheWord.com © 2012, Faith Connections On Mental Illness. All rights reserved